Behavioral Health Intervention Services
Mental Health Specialists assist children and their families in regaining skills to better manage behaviors and cope with symptoms.
Behavioral Health Intervention Services (BHIS) Lejeana Anliker MS, NCC, LMHC Manager
BHIS is a Medicaid funded program, administered by the MCO’s of Iowa, designed to help a child deal with a wide range of behavioral needs. BHIS services assist in the development of a healthy sense of self through establishing stability in a person's life. This is done through the teaching of specific skills that can be used as interventions when dealing with emotional distress and disruptive behaviors. Skills that can be worked on include the following:
- Conflict resolution skills
- Problem solving skills
- Interpersonal relationship skills
- Communication skills
- Executive skills (planning, time management, working memory, impulse control)
- Language processing (learning how to attend to what is said so the meaning is understood)
- Emotional regulation (learning how to think through and manage one's emotions)
- Cognitive flexibility (learning how to apply what we know to a variety of situations)
Skills are taught through individual and family sessions, using a variety of age-appropriate methods that make learning fun! Curriculum is utilized for family sessions.
To qualify for BHIS services, a child must first be diagnosed and assessed by a Licensed Practitioner of the Healing arts (LPHA). In many instances this is performed by a Licensed Mental Health Counselor. If a child is not already in counseling, this service can be provided by a Hope Haven Mental Health Counselor. For more information please refer to the counseling section. Locations: Sioux, Lyon, Osceola, O’Brien, Clay, Dickinson, Palo Alto, Emmet Counties in Iowa.
- 3746 450th Ave., Emmetsburg, IA 50536
- 1800 19th St. PO Box 70 Rock Valley, IA 51247
- 920 S Grand Ave., Spencer, IA 51301
- 1710 Gary Ave., Spirit Lake, IA 51360
Contact us toll free at 877-508-3281
Office hours Monday-Friday 8-4:30 or as requested by client and their family.
Services are frequently provided in home and community locations.